Electronic Keypad locks - Locks of the future
Electronic Keypad locks - Locks that operate with an electronic code
Keypd locks (Code locks) have a special design to them, that allows the user to operate the lock with a code combination rather than just with the mechanical key.
Those locks are great for Airbnb properties, when multiple people need to have access to the property. Those locks are also a great solution for people who need different people o access the house while they are away (to check on their pets, for example).
Electronic Keypad locks are very useful for a standard everyday user. As no keys are needed, the possibility to get locked out is very low. Furthermore, while having an electronic lock, you don't need to worry about other people finding one of your keys.
What is the Difference between Keypad Lock (type of Electronic lock), Electromechanical lock and a Smart lock?
An Electronic lock (or digital lock, electric lock) is a form of lock that uses electricity as an integral component in the locking and unlocking of the lock. Many electronic locks does not use keys and are instead combination based.
Electromechanical locks use both electronic and mechanical locking components.
A smart lock is an electromechanical lock which is designed to perform locking and unlocking operations on a door when it receives such instructions from an authorized device using a wireless protocol and a cryptographic key to execute the authorization process. It also monitors access and sends alerts for the different events it monitors and some other critical events related to the status of the device.
In simple words:
- Electronic locks are locks operated by electricity (most of the time by batteries).
- Electromechanical locks have the option to be operated by electronic components or by mechanical key (standard, good-o'-keys)
- Smart Locks are type of Electromechanical locks, that can be operated, modified and monitored by different device (like a cellphone) using wireless protocol (Wifi, Bluetooth)
*Make sure not to confuse "Smart Locks" with "Smart Key Locks". Smart key locks are mechanical locks with unique pining system, by Kwikset*
is electronic lock safer than a standard lock?
The answer to this question is a little bit tricky - while some electronic locks provide high security features, some of them are easy to open as any other lock (yes, even those that cost less than 20$!). Therefore, it is very important to make a good research before buying a new one (which can cost up to 400$!!).
Looking for the right lock? Pay Attention!
Looking for the right lock for your hoe can be frustrating. Therefore, those are the important things to look for:
- Which brand are you going for? There are many recommended brands on the market who provide great security and durability, but many others offer cheap price on the expense of quality. Make sure to read online reviews and customer satisfaction before purchasing any lock.
- For Electromechanical locks (when both keypad and mechanical key provided) - How safe is the Keyway? is it a Smartkey lock, high security key or standard key? While some of keypads on the market look very appealing and highly secured, you would be surprise how easy they are to compromise.
- What are the options provided with the lock? Do you need to have a keypad code combination? Would you like to get noticed each time the door is open? Maybe you want to unlock the door with your smartphone? Many locks offer many options those days, make sure you know everything about the lock before buying it!
- How often do the batteries have to be replaced? Very important to check this step. You don't want the lock to fail all of sudden, so make sure to replace batteries according to the user manual.
- Does the lock has any warranty on it in case of a failure? While some of the brands provide Life Time Warranty, some of them provide 60 days manufacturer limited warranty. it is important to pay attention for the small captions!
Want to learn more about Electronic locks? Thinking of an upgrade but still can't decide Which lock will be the best option for you?
Give us a call anytime for an honest professional service that will have the best advice for the lowest price.
WE WILL BEAT ANY PRICE!!!
Lock rekey , Lock installation, Lock repair and adjustment, lock fresh installation - 24 Hour locksmith Las Vegas, only 10-30 minutes away!!